Monday, March 21, 2011

Thoughts on Subject

I borrowed the book On Being a Photographer from Ryan and after reading the chapter "Selecting a Subject," something really clicked. It goes back to my dilemma that I discussed in an earlier post, do I wait for a unique photo op or do I choose a subject beforehand? Now the answer is clear: the selection of my subject is fundamental to the development of my photography. To quote from the book: "It comes down to the choice of subject. The photographer must have intense curiosity, not just a passing visual interest, in the theme of the pictures. This curiosity leads to intense examination, reading, talking, research and many, many failed attempts over a long period of time." My goal this week is to take time to think about what really interests me and ignites my passion outside of the realm of photography, and then to go from there when choosing what to photograph. There is still place for the artsy snapshot, the random photo, the unexpected spark of inspiration. But I hope that as I develop my individual style it parallels the process of exploring particular subjects in depth.
The following photographs preceded this "revelation" (I hate to use that word). What do you (fair reader, fair co-artist) think about the role of subject-choosing in making art?


I started taking photographs when I was an intern at a food website and I was assigned the task of taking pictures of seasonal produce at farmers' markets for a weekly series. I went to a market last week to "return to my origins" if you will. A farmers' market is one of my favorite places to be, and yet I'm not sure I've quite captured the love I feel for this environment in the photos I've taken there.




More photos taken while strolling around my neighborhood:



Walking home from my work at a restaurant, I observe other food establishments and industry employees finishing up their night.


I suppose I can't depict my neighborhood without capturing Prospect Park.








No comments:

Post a Comment